Successful leaders in the future will have to become architects of enduring organizations by designing systems that create sustainable results for multiple stakeholders (Latham, 2012).
Reaching Your Organization’s Full Potential
Reaching your organization’s full potential requires organizational and managerial systems and processes that are custom tailored to your unique situation. Best practices and prescriptive solutions from other companies, consultants, and business books often work, yet they seldom achieve the high levels of performance possible with a custom solution that creatively adapts ideas from both theory and practice to fit your unique context.
Design Lab participants use the Design Framework to guide the development custom systems to fit their unique needs and context. The Design Framework provides the structure to design, develop, and deploy any new or redesigned initiative or system in the organization. The framework provides a systematic approach to designing organizational systems for all types of organizations commercial, not for profit, or government.
Virtual Design Lab
Our collaborative approach to design is a flexible Digital Workshop experience where work with you and your team to help you design or redesign any organization or management system. Each module is characterized by collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity. While the design framework components are presented in sequence, the actual use of the framework is often an iterative “back and forth” give and take between the individual components.
Everyone wants to have a great organization with ever-improving performance. Most organizations have tried numerous methods to improve processes and performance, and many of these efforts have resulted in mixed success. Leaders seem to have an insatiable appetite for new management fads and initiatives. And yet, there is seemingly little progress toward creating the performance they desire. So what makes this approach to leadership and design different from those previous attempts?
What Makes Our Approach Different?
- Leaders become Organization Designers – Leaders become designers of the organization’s leadership and management systems. Leaders “learn by designing” and become self-sufficient with the knowledge, skills, abilities, and tools to continue learning after the design lab experience.
- Confidence – Our Design Framework is based on years of experience helping leaders redesign a wide variety of organizational and managerial systems and award-winning peer-reviewed research.
- Aligned & Integrated – The design-based approach to organization improvement enables you to “leap” to an aligned and integrated organization with sustainable results for multiple stakeholders.
- Good Design is Careful Design – The discovery process (Modules 1 through 8) pays BIG dividends. The first eight “discovery” components provide a “springboard” to the creative design process. Taking time to understand the eight dimensions of discovery increases the quality of the design, the value it creates for the stakeholders, and the odds of actual implementation and sustainable practice.
- Systems Thinking – A deep understanding of the underlying systems, relationships, and leverage points is the foundation for good organization design that creates sustainable value for multiple stakeholders.
- Creative & Custom – Our methods integrate design thinking to help you [re]imagine, [re]designing and [re]invent or “create custom” systems vs. simply “fixing” the old systems.
- Convenient – We use digital media and methods which are convenient flexible “bite-size chunks” for your busy schedule. The design lab works on a variety of devices including computers, tablets, and phones. Work at your own pace. We schedule the video conference meetings at a mutually agreeable time that fits your schedule.
- Collaborative – We use our digital platform and tools to enhance our virtual video teleconference meetings giving you the best of both worlds – the convenience of asynchronous online tools with synchronous online collaboration.
- Cost Effective – Our digital approach is more cost effective and less of a burden on the natural environment (smaller carbon footprint with less travel, paper, etc.) compared to the face-to-face alternatives.
An Align then Design Approach enables you to “jump” from where you currently are to an aligned and integrated system. In other words, it allows you to “skip the line” of incremental cycles of improvement from no systematic approach to basic approach to aligned approach to integrated approach in one step. There is simply no reason to go through multiple cycles of feedback from an award process to get to a solid, systematic system that is aligned and integrated.
This 65-page eBook (PDF) is an introduction to all the key elements of the award-winning, peer-reviewed Design Framework including the 8-step Discovery process and the Design, Development, Deployment, and Iterate phases. The book is based on both experience and research on organization and management system design.
Enjoy the journey,