Most organizations are like VCRs blinking 12:00. They are poorly designed, out of date and ill-prepared to survive, let alone thrive, in the modern environment (Latham, 2013).
Become the Architect of Your Ideal Organization!
Leaders today face increasing demands from a variety of stakeholders. The challenge is to figure out a way to create value for all the key stakeholders without taking from one to serve another. Your current organization was designed by humans (consciously or unconsciously) and can be purposefully designed or redesigned to produce even greater value for the multiple stakeholders. As Gandhi proposed, in order to effectively leading organization transformation “you must become the change you want to see in the organization.” Only then will you be credible. This workshop will help you become the architect of the organization you really want!
Leader as Organization Architect is a special kind of leadership that consists of specific leadership behaviors and approaches combined with individual leader characteristics. Leaders use these behaviors, approaches, and characteristics to effectively leverage the forces and facilitators of change to [re]design and transform their organization systems, people, and culture. The Leadership Workshop experience consists of 14 modules that address all 14 chapters in the [Re]Create book.
The virtual Leadership Workshop is a leadership cohort experience that consists of 14 modules with a total of 68 lessons supported with over 100 worksheets. Participants begin by identifying the forces for change or the WHY of change for their organization (module 1). Then participants explore and assess the nine leadership activities (leadership system) including the four cornerstones of organization design: stakeholders, strategy, systems, and scorecard (modules 2-10). The leadership system combined with leaders style (module 11) influence the transformation of the systems and the culture (module 12). At this point in the process, participants take a look inside themselves to assess their strengths and areas for improvement (module 13). Finally, participants reflect on the results of the workshop activities to develop a prioritized plan to facilitate the journey to sustainable excellence (module 14). The amount of time spent on each module can be customized to fit your particular needs. Each module includes lessons on key concepts, application and assessment exercises, leadership development, and organization change.
Each module address five key dimensions including key concepts, application, assessment, leader as organization architect, and [re]create. Each of the modules (1 through 12) consist of five key activities:
- Understand the Key Concepts;
- Apply the key concepts to your organization;
- Assess how well your organization addresses the key concepts;
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of the Leader as Organization Architect and assess your leadership style; and
- Reflect and identify the areas in your organization and leadership to [Re]Create.
Modules 13 and 14 integrate activity #4 Leader as Organization Architect into the other four activities. Our personalized collaborative digital approach includes 15 (1.5 to 2 hour) video teleconference meetings where we help you and your team learn how to [Re]Create the Organization You Really Want.
The Leadership Workshop includes 15 video conferences facilitated by John Latham. These video conferences are approximately 1.5 to 2 hours in duration and are conducted using our video conferencing service provided by Zoom. The video conferences are scheduled to fit your preferred pace through the program. Participants can join using an internet browser from anywhere with an internet connection. This flexible virtual approach avoids the hassle of trying to get everyone to one place for the sessions. Teleconferences are recorded so if a participant misses a meeting they can catch up later and the recording can be reviewed by any participant at any time.
What makes our approach different?
- Leaders become Organization Architects – Leaders become architects of the organizations they really want! They lead by example and “learn by doing” real work application activities. Leaders become self-sufficient with the knowledge, skills, abilities, and tools to continue learning after the experience.
- Get the “DNA” right first! – Develop a solid foundation and framework for excellence that aligns stakeholders, strategy, systems, scorecard, and culture before working on the individual components and processes of the organization.
- Systems Thinking – Participants use systems thinking to understand key components, relationships, and leverage points in the organization systems and develop organizational designs that create sustainable value for multiple stakeholders.
- Confidence – Our flexible frameworks are based on years of experience helping leaders redesign and transform their organizations and award-winning peer-reviewed research.
- Creative & Custom – Our methods integrate reflection and design thinking to help you [re]imagine, [re]designing and [re]invent or “create custom” systems vs. simply “fixing” the old systems.
- Convenient – We use digital media and methods which are convenient flexible “bite-size chunks” for your busy schedule. The leadership workshop works on a variety of devices including computers, tablets, and phones. Choose the pace that works best for you and your team. We schedule the video conference meetings at a mutually agreeable time to fit your schedule.
- Collaborative – We use our digital platform and tools to enhance our virtual workshops giving you the best of both worlds – the convenience of asynchronous online tools with synchronous online collaboration.
- Cost Effective – Our digital approach is more cost effective and less of a burden on the natural environment (smaller carbon footprint with less travel, paper, etc.) compared to the face-to-face alternatives.
Contact us to get started with your own leadership cohort.
This 84-page eBook (PDF) is based on a combination of experience working with senior leaders to design and redesign organizations and research on CEOs who led successful organization transformations that created sustainable results for multiple stakeholders. The book describes the key elements of the award-winning Leadership Framework and provides an introduction to the “BIG” picture. (version 1.5)